Friday 11 March 2016

A Very British Gin.

 

I fancied a tipple of gin yesterday as a prepandial. Unfortunately there was a dearth of juniper juice in the butler's pantry. That being the case I was obliged to source my evening snorter at a local off licence.

The usual brands hogged the shelves but my attention was drawn to a rather unusually shaped dark bottle with the name, "Bulldog," highlighted in white letters. The labelling promised me, "an exotic blend of twelve natural botanicals from 8 different countries along with the highest quality British wheat and water." It claimed a creamy and flavoursome taste balanced with natural poppy and dragon. I decided to invest in a bottle of this aspirational nectar. Unfortunately I have to report that I found it rather bland and soapy. Perhaps my jaded taste buds just react better to less subtle flavours.

 

3 comments:

  1. Wasn't aware of it. Do you mix it with tonic water? I've been reverting to the prosaic Gordon's lately. Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes tonic. Perhaps if I had added Fever-Tree rather than Schweppes the result might have been better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think artisanal gins are worth the money. My local gin is Sipsmith, distilled down the road in Chiswick, and it costs £29.45 a bottle or more. I stick to whatever is on special offer at Waitrose.

    ReplyDelete