Wednesday 29 July 2015

Athletic Weekend

Sunday was spent pretending that I was still an athlete. I was not alone. Upwards of a thousand individuals who had attained at least their thirty fifth birthday concentrated upon Tullamore in Co. Offaly for the 2015 Irish Masters Championships. I suppose that strictly speaking I was a guest at these, "games," but my appearance was not challenged. In any event it is not a closed championship. For me this is just another event, albeit somewhat convenient, where I can participate in an event with my peers or near peers. Unfortunately I was obliged to accept second place in both the 800m and 1500m. That said he who snooked in front of me was a newbie to the age category. He may have beaten me by a quarter of a second in both races but the age tables say that he should have beaten me by some three and six seconds. He didn't. I retain the moral if not the athletic high ground. I will endeavour to ensure that he does not beat me again.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment