Friday 17 May 2013

Bluebells Nearly Over

The bluebells in the garden are beginning to wane, but they are still providing a vibrant sea of blue and violet fluorescence under the gnarled branches of the copper beech tree.

I would rather have had English Bluebells in the garden instead of the Spanish variety which I inherited. The gentle droop of the native variety gives a softness to the woodland scene which the taller and more erect Spanish interloper fails to provide. That said there is probably a greater variation of colour with Hyacinthoides Hispanica.

Once the flowers have died down I think that I will dig up some of the bulbs and plant them in the embryonic orchard. I think that bluebells would look quite good there, once they and the fruit trees become established.

No comments:

Post a Comment