Monday 24 December 2012

Christmas Stamp Inflation

The UK was quite dilatory in the issue of special Christmas Stamps. It was not until 1966 that we had the first Christmas commemorative stamps. It doesn't seem that long ago, but I know that it is really. I must concede that for me the year 1966 is not memorable because of the issue of these stamps but rather because of England winning the World Cup. That of course prompted the issue of the, "England Winners," stamp.

Back in 1966 we were able to post our Christmas cards for the princely sum of 3d. This year I had to pay fifty pence to post each card. That is ten bob in real money. Postage prices have therefore increased by 4000% over forty six years. That I think is rather frightening. It is not too surprising that sales of the traditional card are declining. That said e-cards are rather impersonal.


No comments:

Post a Comment