Friday 28 September 2012

Carrot Tops Cropped

Carrot Resistafly -27th September 2012.

Not a reference to individuals with auburn coloured hair but rather to the humble carrot - (Daucus Carota).

I was rather late in sowing my carrot seed this year and it is only in the last few weeks that I have been able to pull any carrots. This tardiness on my part has however worked to my advantage as I seem to have avoided the worst of the ravages of the pernicious carrot fly. I cannot claim to have  to have a totally clean crop but at least not every carrot has been tunnelled into by the carrot fly larvae.

The gardening books recommend sowing resistant varieties and erecting low barriers. This may all help but I find that it is a very rare year that the little beggars don't manage to infiltrate my defences.

No comments:

Post a Comment